May 31, 2009

Calzones

Calzones

Calzones are soooo easy to make. DH loves them. It's a nice twist to pizza. We usually make two large calzones, which leaves us both with plenty of leftover to reheat for lunch. So two large calzones can feed 4 people (just serve a side salad).

I make my own dough following just a basic pizza dough recipe. You could use store bought, but I've had lots of issues with Pillsbury refrigerated dough (as in half the dough missing and it rips way easier than homemade dough). I roll out the dough into two circles or rectangles. I use a cooking spray to spray a large cookie sheet. I put one of the rolled doughs on the cookie sheet. On one half (keeping the edge free of toppings), I put whatever I want inside. Usually different white cheeses, pepperoni or sausage (already cooked), Italian seasoning, etc. Feel free to add mushrooms, chopped spinach (cooked), etc. We put a good amount inside each calzone. Fold over the other half of the dough. Use the tongs of a fork on the edges to keep them together. Cut two or three slits on the top. Repeat with other half of dough. Both should fit on a cookie sheet together. Spray the tops with cooking spray (aids in browning). I bake at 425*F until golden on top. Through the slits you should be able to see the cheese melted and slightly bubbling. Usually 20 minutes, but could easily vary based on the dough used and the size of calzones. Serve with warm maranara sauce on the side for dipping.


No comments: