March 01, 2009

A few more recipes!

Artisan Bread - recipe is on the linked page. I just let mine rest on my round cookie sheet and threw that in the oven. I don't have a pizza stone. Bread still turned out GREAT. I highly recommend using the all purpose unbleached flour, even though the person at the link didn't. Save the bread flour for other breads (like Amish bread). Super yummy and super quick!

Spicy chicken stir fry - We never did get around to making this from the last menu. So it's appearing again this current menu. ;)

Creamy Chicken and Noodles - This meal was okay. We ended up adding shredded cheddar cheese to it and decided it was better that way. I'll make it again with maybe some slight changes before I decide if I'll keep making it or not. I think next time I'll put the frozen veggies in sooner because whenever you open the lid to the slow cooker it takes it forever to get back up to a good temperature. I ended up giving up on the slow cooker and dumping the contents into a stovetop pan and heating it up that way and mixing it with the pasta in the pot.

2 cups sliced carrots (4 medium)
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (3 medium)
1 cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
3 medium chicken leggs (2 lbs), skinned (I used frozen chicken breasts)
2 cans reduced-fat and reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
10 ounces dried wide noodles (about 5 cups)
1 cup frozen peas (or other frozen veggie if you hate peas like me)

1. In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker place carrots, onions, celery, parsley, and bay leaf. Place chicken on top of vegetables. In a medium bowl stir together soup, water, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables in cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-4 1/2 hours. Remove chicken from cooker; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf.

3. Cook noodles according to directions; drain. Stir peas into soup mixture in cooker. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces; stir into soup mixture in cooker. To serve, spoon chicken mixture over noodles; toss gently to combine.
396 calories for 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture plus 3/4 cup noodles.

No comments: