January 17, 2009

Italian Minestrone Soup

Got this from one of the two cookbooks that my MIL gave to me for Christmas. This one is called Busy Woman's Quick and Easy Recipes. I've seen much better cookbooks, but there are a handful of recipes I'm going to try from it in the coming months.

Italian Minestrone

1 (16oz) package frozen onions and bell peppers
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 cup butter
2 (15oz) cans diced tomatoes (get the no salt added ones)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 (14oz) cans beef broth
2 (15oz) cans navy beans
2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, sliced
1 cup elbow macaroni

Saute onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic in butter for about 2 minutes in soup pot. Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, and a little salt and pepper. Boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in beef broth, beans, zucchini and macaroni and boil. Reduce heat again and simmer for another 15 minutes or until macaroni is tender.


Since DH doesn't count meat free meals as meals, I'm thinking about adding some left over pork shoulder to the mix. I'm also considering fixing the pizza Monday and the BBQ shoulder Sunday. This way I can make BBQ pizza. Yummy!!! I even have some wonderful Corky's BBQ sauce left from back home. Mmmm. DH and I are both from just outside of Memphis, TN. You just can't beat the BBQ from back home, and boy does everyone love BBQ there!! I really miss Memphis in May BBQ Festival. Full of yummy shoulders, ribs, and whole pigs. All during a huge party on the river. One of the few things I miss about home! :)

Have a great long weekend everyone!

No comments: