January 03, 2009

Best Ever Chicken Pot Pie (and other recipes)

I'm heading off to the commissary tomorrow. Other than needing to buy some fresh fruit and milk, we should be able to last 3 weeks. I have $15 in coupons this time, so hopefully my grocery bill will be a bit smaller than last time. 

Egg in a Hole- silly and simple. :)

KombatKween’s Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients

·      6 tablespoons butter

·      6 tablespoons flour

·      2 cups chicken broth

·      1 cup heavy cream or half and half

·      2 cups vegetables (corn, peas, carrots), can use canned with the liquid drained off

·      2 chicken breasts, coked and cubed

·      4 white potatoes, cubed small and cooked

·      2 pie crusts, store bought or homemade 

Directions

      Melt butter in a pot and stir in flour to form a thick paste. Add salt and pepper. Stir in cream and chicken broth. Cook on a simmer until thick.

       Add vegetables, potatoes, and chicken. Pour into pie crust, top with the other crust. Polk holes in the top to vent. Cook at 375* for 35-45 minutes.

Double the ingredients to make 3 pies or 2 really full ones! 

This pot pie is seriously the best ever. It's heavenly to begin with, but it's even better as leftovers. So I don't feel too silly making a pot pie just to put it in the fridge for the next night's meal. Plus it'll make for a super easy Monday meal cause who feels like cooking on a Monday night after a holiday weekend?! Not me.

Stuffed Wraps - DH loves those tortilla wrap places. I don't see sense in spending $6 (or more!) on a single wrap when I can make healthier, tastier ones for a lot cheaper at home. I throw in frozen chicken in a crockpot in the morning. Add in a can of diced tomatoes and my own taco seasonings to taste. Cook on low. When I get home, I put rice in the rice maker, shred the chicken, heat up the beans, and I'm good to go. Easy. Stuff a large flour tortilla with rice, chicken mixture, black beans, lettuce, cheese, and anything else that strikes your fancy. So yummy, and you'll have plenty of leftovers for much cheaper.


Oh, and my husband has requested that I start making bentos for him again. So maybe I'll share some of my bentos on here soon. I was obsessed about making nice, cute ones last summer but kinda got out of practice with it since I eat my own lunch at home most of the time...I did get a couple of new bento items recently, so this will give me the chance to try them out! :)

No comments: