December 28, 2008

Merry Christmas!

A little late for most of you, but I know some of us are still waiting for Little Christmas. I always enjoyed mass as a child this time of year. We kept singing Christmas songs after Christmas Day. It's the best! :)

A note on the Cookie Dough Cheesecake - it's VERY SWEET. In fact, it is too much for me. I will make this again with just the bottom crust layer of cookie dough. I also only used a 16oz package of cookie dough, and it worked just fine. I used Pillsbury and while it doesn't cut like Tollhouse, it smashes into the bottom of the pan quickly and beautifully! It's just too much IMO to have a bottom and top layer of cookie surrounding the cheesecake. Cheesecake type desserts are rich enough!

Now on to a few more recipes.



Southwest Egg Rolls

1 Can Black Beans

1 Can Pinto Beans

1 Can Corn

1 Pkg. Frozen Spinach (thawed and drained)

1 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

½ Bag Cheddar Cheese

1 tsp. each of Chili Powder, Cumin and Onion Powder

1 Pkg. Tortillas

 

1. Dice chicken into bite size pieces. Cook in pan until no longer pink in center. Add chili powder, cumin, and onion powder.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredience except tortillas.

3. Warm tortillas in Microwave wrapped in a wet towel. Spoon filling into middle of each tortilla. Fold in 2 sides and roll from one end to the other.

4. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until crisp and slightly brown. Dip in salsa, ranch, guacamole and enjoy!


**Notes: I use soft taco sized tortilla shells. Can use the smaller ones for smaller rolls (just make more of them). I like using the soft taco size cause they're fat and full of yummy goodness. Two of these are usually enough to fill us up, so this meal is one that produces leftovers for lunches! If you're a big cheese fan, feel free to throw in some extra cheese! I think I'm going to double the cheese when I make them tomorrow. DH think he hates spinach, so extra cheese will make him happy.


Apple Dumplings - this is one of those recipes where you just can't think about sugar and calories. Just fix this and fall in love. It's beyond wonderful, and sooooo easy! Serve with ice cream while the dumpling is still steaming hot!

Ingredients

·      2 granny smith apples

·      2 cans crescent rolls

·      2 sticks butter

·      1 ½ cups sugar

·      1 teaspoon vanilla

·      cinnamon to taste

·      1 small can Mountain Dew 

Directions

            Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9x13 buttered pan. Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour over the apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges and center of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

            Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauce from the plan over the top.

            Then go to confession. Quickly.


Spicy Bean Salsa - It's traditional for my Southern family to eat black eyed peas for good luck on New Years Day. I hate black eyed peas, but I'm not about to pass up my chance for good luck. So I figured this salsa would do the trick! Sounds yummy - can't wait to try it!


Shortcut Chicken Manicotti - This meal doesn't scream "healthy" to me either, but I figured it's worth a try. I've been debating fixing this meal for a few menus now. We'll see how it goes. If we like it, it might become an every 4-6 months meal. lol.


No comments: