November 02, 2008

Pizza!

Last Friday for those in Nevada was Nevada Day. Basically Nevada businesses and schools get the day off. I had the day off and DH and I enjoyed a day together out and about. We gawked at the stores at the Town Square - if you're ever in Vegas it's a great walkable shopping center with a kid's park too! It's just south of the strip. While there we enjoyed ourselves some California Pizza Kitchen. It only took us two years of living out west to finally eat there! I'll never be able to go back to their frozen pizzas again. However, I'm glad I've been in a pizza mood this weekend! Tonight's dinner was homemade pizza. While I'm not a CPK, I'm not half bad! :)

Pizza Crust

2 3/4 to 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 package of active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water (120-130*)
2 tablespoons cooking oil (use what you have, I used olive)

In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/4 cups of the flour, yeast, and salt. Add water and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Then stir in as much as much of the remaining flour as you can. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes). Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Grease to 12-inch pizza pans or baking sheets. Pam works great. If desired, sprinkle with cornmeal. On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion out into a 13-inch circle (or whatever shape you can manage because mine are never circles lol). Transfer to pans. Build up edges slightly. Bake in a 425* oven for 12 minutes or until brown. Spread out your sauce and whatever toppings you want on top! Bake again for 10-15 minutes or till bubbly.
If you like a crisper crust, before baking the first time stab the uncooked crust with a fork. Continue as directed.

I like this crust because there is no rising needed, so I don't have to plan ahead for PIZZAS. Geeze, I just cannot bring myself to plan ahead all day for a pizza dinner. It's still just pizza! These are normal crusts - not super thin, not thick. Just normal. Enjoy!

No comments: