November 24, 2008

Grocery Trip!

Went to commissary Saturday afternoon. Boy did I feel like I was in a cattle herd. People were pushing and shoving. Fighting over little smoked sausages. It was stupid! But I did survive with only $134.45 damage. Not bad for two weeks including lunches and Thanksgiving! I already bought my turkey, but everything else I still had to buy. I did find a few more useful coupons while shopping, so I saved $12.60 in the end. Thanks to my receipt, I know that's 8% of my total bill. Not bad. :D I probably could have walked away with only $120 in groceries, but DH got in the way. I still would rather he go even though he costs me more money in the end (darn end displays!). He took the cart this trip, I bravely grabbed items in the aisles and brought it back to his cart. He just stood there laughing at me. Well, that and grabbing items off the end displays. lol. Oh well.

At this point I can't remember what recipes I've posted and which I haven't. And I'm lazy, so forgive me if I start reposting old recipes. :)


Amish Bread

Ingredients

·      2 cups warm water (110*F)

·      2/3 cup white sugar (can use less sugar)

·      1 ½ tablespoons active dry yeast

·      1 ½ teaspoons salt

·      ¼ cup oil

·      6 cups bread four 

Directions

1.     In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

2.   Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

3.    Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.

4.   Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Store this yummy bread in an airtight container at room temperature. It keeps fresh longer than most homemade breads – almost 2 weeks! 


Pineapple Pork chops

From Nates on OHO

 Ingredients:

4 boneless center cut pork chops, ¾-inch thick

1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple with juice

1/3 cup packed light brown sugar

1 tablespoon soy sauce

 Directions:

oven to 350-degrees. Coat a baking pan with a spray of canola oil.

Place pork chops in a baking pan. In a small bowl, mix together pineapple, brown sugar and soy sauce. (I used chunk pineapple and put everything in the blender.) Spread pineapple mixture evenly over the top of pork chops. (I added a few chunks of pineapple on top.) Cover tightly and bake for 50 minutes or until well done. Place baking pan on cooling rack. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.


Mash Potatoes - I followed my "method" from chicken noodle soup. Put potatoes on to boil and forgot about them. Then remembered about them and drained, mashed, etc. I'm a simple person and just used milk, butter, salt, pepper, and parsley in my mashed potatoes.


I never have gotten around to making waffles. We ate Chinese instead for lunch. First time in months, so I felt I had to listen to my cravings!


And since we ate Chinese for lunch, we had no desire to eat dinner. lol. So we didn't make quiche. I swear that one item is going to keep reappearing on menus for months at this rate.


Tomorrow I've decided will be chicken taco salads. I'll break out the crockpot tomorrow morning before work. Place 3-4 frozen chicken breasts in crockpot along with a packet of taco seasoning (or make your own) and one can of diced tomatoes, no salt added. The taco seasoning has enough sodium issues without the diced tomatoes adding to it. Keep the crockpot on low all day. Come home to your dinner cooked. I just shred the chicken before serving. If you don't have all day, high will work too. Just faster. :D

No comments: